Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Anita's Stitching

I have begun stitching in 1978. For the last 10 years, my stitching has been with "smalls". I love to use beads and ribbons and always looking for new ways for finishing. My email addresses is anita@anitalittlestitches.com.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Mattress style pinkeep finishing

I am trying to experiment different ways of small finishings. This week I tried the mattress style pinkeep. I chose the La D Da's freebie "Tiny Sampler". I have changed some of the colors of the design and it took me forever to finish it. I am terribe with colors and I have ripped quite a few times to get the look that I wanted. I also used some of the motif from "Linen Stitches" by Ginnie Thompson. The border of the finish was stitched one over one. There are lots of backstitching involved and very time consuming.

Here it is:





Here are some pictures of the side:






A good friend sent me a surprise package for me and my son. Susan (http://astitchersfinishline.blogspot.com/) have heard me talking about making fimo clay flowers, buttons and charms so she sent me some fimo clays to have a good start. She sent me some paints for making my own colors pins as well. The package also included a chart pack with a overdyed floss and 3 packages of beautiful pins. My son loves seeing packages in the mail and he was so excited to see he got the bubble solution and some dinosaur sponges. He is trying to convince me that if we put the little sponge capsules in the bath tub instead of the sink, the sponges will expand to 10 times as big. Thank you so much Susan for the package and your thoughtfulness.


Here are pictures of the goodies:






Thank you so much for taking the time and leaving me compliment about my stitching and ribbon rose pins. The instruction of ribbon rose can be found on most of the ribbon embroidary instruction books. I have found 2 URL that can help you to make them. I don't use any tools, I just use my hands. Everytime you make the turn of the ribbon, you need to make some running stitches to secure the ribbon. Another stitcher also comes up with a site that shows how to make Ric Rac rose, I went and bought some Ric Rac ribbon butI have not had time to give it a try yet.

http://www.cynthiahoweminiatures.com/ribbonroses.htm

(I don't use any glue in my ribbon roses and I used thread to secure the rose. After I finished making the rose, I just put a "pearl pin" in the middle).

Ric Rac Ribbon Rose

http://inaminuteago.com/blog/index.php/archives/2007/05/05/a-tutorial-on-how-to-make-ric-rac-roses/

Hope you all have a great week.

37 Comments:

Blogger Solstitches said...

Anita,
You really do make the most beautiful things! I love this little pincushion and am looking forward to seeing what you will do with the goodies your friend sent you.

Margaret

9:55 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Oh, your mattress pincushion turned out great! I have ;yet to try this finish.

10:05 AM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Your Mattress pinkeep turned out lovely, I especially like the edgeing you did up around the sides.
Sue

10:34 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oh wow Anita! You are such an accomplished and creative stitcher. You inspire me! Thanks for sharing the rose links.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anita, that is adorable!! Love the stitching, and your finishing is fabulous. Great job!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

How lovely! Your mattress style pinkeep is gorgeous :)
You have so many lovely smalls finishes...how do you display them all?

10:54 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

Very lovely pincushion !!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Just beautiful! You did a wonderful job!
thanks for the links to ribbon roses tutorials

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Anita, I love it and I am so impressed. I have been wanting to try one of these and I just love La D Da so what you have done is just the perfect combination. Congratulations :)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Tanya Willis Anderson said...

So beautiful, Anita!!!

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pincushion!

I'm also looking forward to seeing what becomes of the Primo!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Anita,

I love your little mattress pin cushion. It is wonderful to see all of your little finishes. I don't have the patience to those little things, but I love to see ones that everyone else does.

I took a class from Merry cox one time to make a pinkeep that she called a mattress. It is still in my UFO box.

Beautiful work.

Kathy

12:03 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Wonderful finishing once again Anita! I love these little mattresses. They look more complicated than they really are. I hope all those pretty glass head pins mean many more pinkeep finishes in the future?

12:46 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Your mattress pinkeep is beautiful Anita. Another finishing style I need to try I think:)

6:08 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Wonderful work on your mattress pincushion! I love how you stitched along the edges as well - what a lovely sweet touch that added. I can imagine that added a lot of time to the finishing of it.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

I LOVE your mattress pinkeep! The detail is wonderful. :-)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Anita, your pin cushion is really neat! I love it. I'm sorry though that it was a pain to work with.
I look forward to seeing some more rose pins.
Have you gotten to play with the clays yet?

11:13 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Anita, your pincushion is gorgeous! I think the ripping must have been worth it, as it's turned out beautifully. I like your son's logic with the sponges :)

7:15 AM  
Blogger AuntSuze said...

Another beautiful finish! Hope you enjoy the goodies, I just know whatever you make will be beautiful!

7:50 AM  
Blogger tintocktap said...

Your mattewss pin cushion is beautiful! I particularly like the detail in the stitching round the edge. Well done! And thanks for the links to the ribbon roses.

8:02 AM  
Blogger tintocktap said...

PS. My son too would like the dinosaurs!

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! Thanks for the instructions on making the pin roses!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Annemarie said...

The mattress pincushion may have been time-consuming, but it was definitely worth it. It's beautiful!

10:41 AM  
Blogger mona said...

Anita
thanks for dripping by my blog. I just finished a mattress pinkeep too but it is nowhere as lovely as yours. I haven't updated in my blog yet but will do as soon I get some decent pics.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I am behind on catching up with everyone's blogs - what wonderful finishes you have posted the last month or so. They are all terrific! I bought some Fimo clay to try my hand at making rose pins but now see I'm going to have to try the ribbon rose pins too! I am interested in learning how to do a mattress pinkeep. I have done a Merry Cox one that was mounted inside a needle book but not a stand-alone one. Do you know of a pattern that has instructions for making a matress pinkeep?? Thank you for the inspiration. :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Karoline said...

Your pincushion is gorgeous Anita, congratulations

1:23 PM  
Blogger Hazel said...

More gorgeous inspiring finishes!! What lovely gifts too. xx

4:10 PM  
Blogger Patricia Lessell said...

Anita,

I absolutely love the mattress that you have stitched and finished - it is done absolutely to perfection.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Your matress pincushion is gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you make out of the Fimo.

8:40 AM  
Blogger JariJari said...

Your mattress pincushions is perfectly beautiful. I have a few stitched pieces for this type of finishing but I have to admit it really time taxing...!!!

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful finish. The colors turned out gorgeous.
And you got some amazing gifts there from your friend. I am sure your son also likes his gifts. Those dinasours are so much fun!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok woman, you HAVE to stop making these incredible things that make me want to stop doing all my chores and sit and stitch for hours!! You really need to start classes so you can teach us how to create all these beautiful treasures. :) Anita, you really need to have a little girl now so you can teach her all of this wonderful stuff!! :) (evil grin) LOL Thanks for sharing your truly lovely work with us,
Sharon in Tx

5:50 PM  
Blogger Aussie Stitcher said...

Love your mattress pin cushion and all of the gift that you received, thanks for sharing.

Joanne

1:37 AM  
Blogger Lelia said...

I love to visit your blog. You have such beautiful stitched items! And WOW the tiny sampler/linen thread patterns look great together. Is the freebie [La D Da] one that can be shared with other stitchers???

Awesome!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Nanou974 said...

Your blog is very very beautiful !
I love the design "Tiny sampler" by La D Da...
Is it possible to reveive this freebie ?
Thanks Anita.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Lelia said...

Anita:

I've looked hi & lo for your e-mail address. Cannot find it. If you would like the Elizabeth's Design pattern (from my blog post of January 16th
http://leliaevelyn.blogspot.com/2008/01/flowers-friends.html
let me know. I'll need your snail mail address & can put it in the mail on monday.

e-mail me at leliaeveyln at gmail dot com

Always, L

5:35 PM  
Blogger Auto Angel said...

Buy branded orthopedic mattress with free 24 hr delivery.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home